Security Capability Assessment
Measuring Your Security Processes and Practices to Cultivate Success
Your Organization is Unique: Your Security Capabilities Should Be, Too
Cybersecurity assessments have long been seen as the table stakes to prepare against cyberattacks. However, lack of a holistic and integrated approach towards these assessments has led them to become numerous, complex and, at times, tiresome – while not providing insights relevant to management directives.
To keep up with the ever-changing cybersecurity landscape, organizations need to shift away from reactive, check-the-box security and move towards a measurable, meaningful and proactive approach.
Every organization is different, and a cookie-cutter approach won’t (forgive the pun) cut it anymore. Crafting a holistic cybersecurity program especially for your environment takes effort, but the results are well worth it.
Before you can begin, you need to know your security program’s current maturity level. Not sure where you stand? These questions can help you get a general sense of your current maturity:
- Are your security initiatives aligned with your business objectives?
- Are your employees and contractors cyber aware?
- How do you manage risks and threats?
- What cybersecurity solutions are in place to protect your perimeter?
- How do you detect and handle alerts?
- Do you have repeatable processes or playbooks in place to respond to and recover from incidents?
Once you know where you are, we’ll help you chart a course to where you want to be. Optiv’s custom approach integrates your business objectives with your appetite for cyber risk, while leveraging relevant industry standards to evaluate your organization’s security capabilities. Our solution helps you derive value-driven, actionable insights and includes a cost-benefit analysis of return on investment (ROI) on cybersecurity spending to enable you to scale and mature your program effectively.
Find Out Where You Stand With Optiv Capability Assessments
Understanding the maturity level of your security program can be tough. Sometimes it’s better to let the experts handle it. From AWS cloud architecture to Zero Trust, Optiv has the knowledge and industry experience to assess your security programs holistically. Our proven models and methodology ensure you understand the big picture no matter where you are or where you want to end up.
Optiv’s industry-tested program assessment methodology – with its supporting capability maturity models – enables you to evaluate your current cyber readiness and implement cutting-edge cyber practices across the dimensions of people, process and technology. Our methodology allows us to assess your current- and target-state maturity against your unique regulatory and compliance landscape, as well as peers in your industry, while considering your organization’s risk profile and appetite and current technology stack.
Optiv’s Maturity Scale Based on Capability Maturity Model Integration (CMMI)
Our deep experience delivering security capability assessments for Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 clients has enabled us to develop standardized accelerators (including maturity models) to hit the ground running on each of our client engagements. Our maturity scale – based on capability maturity model integration (CMMI) – provides a high-level view of your security program maturity, based on gaps noted during our current-state assessment.
- Insufficient, unskilled personnel; no set roles and responsibilities
- Ineffective tools to perform required duties
- Processes are ad hoc, unpredictable and reactive, increasing risk and inefficiency
- Roles and responsibilities are loosely defined, limited availability of skilled personnel
- Limited tools to support processes
- Policies and processes are planned, performed, measured and controlled, but are not formalized or consistently applied
- Operating model is defined, but cyber risk values and behaviors are not ingrained in organizational culture
- Tools are approved and consistently leveraged
- Policies and processes are well established and provide guidance across projects, programs and portfolios
- A cyber risk-aware culture has been established
- Tools are maintained and automated to a certain degree
- Policies and processes are measured and controlled to determine alignment with stakeholder requirements
- People-centric cyber culture exists and is continually measured for effectiveness
- Tools employed are automated and cutting edge
- Processes are stable, flexible and continually tested and benchmarked to influence process redesign
Optiv Security Maturity Programs
Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC)
Bidding on contracts for the Federal Government or Department of Defense (DoD)? If you found the levels of maturity or 171 practice requirements in the CMMC a little confusing, don’t worry. Our Federal team has the expertise to guide you through it all. We take a holistic approach, ensuring that you meet compliance requirements, and that your solution is sustainable and scalable.
Security information and event management (SIEM) and user and entity behavior analytics (UEBA) solutions make your security easier to manage by streamlining investigations, filtering and prioritizing large amounts of data, and enabling you to detect incidents that might’ve gone unnoticed. Optiv has the expertise to mature your program and improve your security posture, no matter where you are on your SIEM or UEBA journey.